Essentially, once you use the internet you are exposed to some level / degree. What 'protects' most people is the fact that every day billions of people use the internet so a hacker randomly coming cross your connection may be like winning the lottery UNLESS... You make it easier to find you.
Some proactive general measures in my opinion:
1. Do not use mobile phones, they are even less secure than a laptop or PC.
2. Do not use any public / free wi-fi connections.
3. Ensure you have a firewall installed on your system so you can know who is connection to your computer and which program is seeking to access the internet.
4. Make sure you have an active and up to date virus checker
5. Do not visit questionable sites or just randomly click links especially from Emails unless you know the source.
6. Do not download and install anything unless it is a legit source.
There is a lot more that can be added, but these are the basics.